Soups, Salads & Sides
- 200ml water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 115gm couscous
- Put water, olive oil and salt in a pot and bring to the boil
- Add the couscous, stir through, then remove from the heat
- Put the lid on the pot and let it sit for at least 7 minutes
- Then drag a fork through the couscous to fluff it up and put in the salad bowl
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 35 mls olive oil
- juice and zest of ½ a lemon
Put all of the dressing ingredients in a jar, screw the lid on and shake together
Pour over the couscous and stir through
- ½ tin chick peas
- 2-3 sun dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 ½ onions, sliced and gently fried in 1 Tb oil until browned
- 1 Tb chopped parsley
Toss the salad ingredients into the couscous until well tossed.
Serve this salad warm and cold. It is delicious and full of nutrition.
Marinated Kale Salad
- 1 bunch fresh kale, destemmed
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (shiitake or brown)
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup flax seed oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- Tamari (to taste)
- Tear kale into small, bite-size pieces. In a bowl, toss all vegetables with kale.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flax seed oil, lemon juice, and tamari. Pour over vegetables and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Broccoli with Mustard Seed Dressing (GF)
- 4 tsp. white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 TBs coarse whole grain mustard
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 cups broccoli florets, lightly steamed
- Combine all the ingredients (except the broccoli) in a jar with a tight fitting lid
- Shake vigorously until well mixed
- Pour over the hot broccoli
- Serve immediately
Cauliflower Paratas (GF)
- One medium sized cauliflower grated
- One cup and a bit of chapatti flour
- 2-3 TBs vegetable oil
- some spice, chilli powder and salt
To Prepare the dough
- Add 1/3 cup water to 1 cup flour and mix to make reasonably soft dough. Add a bit water if needed.
To Prepare the cauliflower for filling
- Heat 1TBs of oil in a saucepan and add the spice, after a minute add grated cauliflower.
- Add salt and chilli power and mix well
- Cook for 5min and keep aside to cool
Making the paratas
- Take a little bigger than golf ball size dough and divide into two parts. Roll them separately to a size of ~ 5 inches diameter. Place one on the rolling board and spread 2TBSP full prepared cauliflower.
- Place the second chapatti over it and roll it gently to another 2 inches size.
- Heat fry pan and fry with a bit of oil.
- Eat with yogurt or tomato sauce
- Serves 4
Garlic and Salt Concertina Potatoes (GF)
- 6 medium sized roasting potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- sea salt, freshly ground
- 150gm margarine, melted
- Wash potatoes
- With a sharp knife, make parallel cuts width ways along the potatoes about 2/3 deep (as the potatoes bake, they will open out slightly to give a concertina effect)
- Mix the margarine and the garlic together
- Paint the tops with the garlic margarine
- Sprinkle with salt and bake for 60 minutes at 200C, basting again after 30 minutes
Ginger Glazed Carrots (GF)
- 450gm carrots, cut into sticks (5-8cm long)
- 1 TB chopped root ginger
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 TB margarine
- Place carrots and ginger in a pan with ½ c water
- Simmer, covered for 10 minutes or until the carrots are just soft and water is just evaporated
- Add the margarine and maple syrup and cook uncovered for a further 2-3 minutes, gently tossing occasionally to coat the carrots evenly in the glaze
- Serve and enjoy!