Fast Food/Ice Cream
For vegan/vegetarian friendly hot chips and potato fritters etc, try these chip shops which do not cook in animal fat and are recommended by Christchurch vegetarians for their tasty food. Please notify us if you find that any of them have started using animal fat as businesses do change hands and food preparation practices can change. This list of chip shops is checked and updated periodically. If you wish to recommend any other chips shops which cook in vegetable oil and do tasty chips, please let us know so that they can be added to this list. Please note that as far as we are aware, most of these shops do not cook the vegetarian foods in separate fryers from the non vegetarian foods.
- 1040 Takeaways 1040 Colombo street, St Albans Ph: 379 2485
- Captain Ben’s in Ilam, 4 Rountree Street (opposite school). Canola oil. Ph: 348 7076
- Chicken-to-Go, 457 Linwood Ave, opposite BP station. Cooks chips separately, and uses canola oil. Also has onion rings, burgers, etc. Ph: 389 5919
- Fish and Chicken, Carnaby Mall, Hawke Street, New Brighton. Ph: 3882569
- Henry’s Fish and Chips, 1 Hardy Street, New Brighton. Ph: 388 9985
- Maryland Food Bar, 733 Main South Road, Templeton. Uses veggie oil. Has potato fritters and pineapple rings, and is vegan-friendly.
- Major Takeaways, 108 Stanmore Road, Linwood. Ph: 389 8483
- Stourbridge Fish & Chips 5 Stourbridge St, Spreydon Ph: 339 8388. Vegetable oil, all foods cooked together
- Supreme Chinese Takeaway, 680 Barbadoes Street (corner Warrington St). Large spring rolls, veggie patties. Gluten-free friendly. Ph: 386 0066
- Wassup Primo Fish & Chips 202 Waltham Rd (by Shakespeare Rd). Ph: 366 9679.
Hell Pizza -National chain of pizza joints with vegan and gluten-free options. Prices range from $8.50 – $17 for the ‘Sinister’ vegan pizza. Better than average vegetarian pizzas with flexibility to customise your pizzas by ordering your preferred toppivngs. Fries are cooked in canola oil. Online ordering available. Pickup/ delivery. Ph 0800 666 111 www.hell.co.nz Opening hours: Monday – Sunday 11:30am – 10pm:
- 322 Harewood Road, Bishopdale. Ph (03) 359 2666
- 384 Ferry Road, Woolston. Ph (03) 389 8666
- Shop 9, 21 Shands Road, Hornby. Ph (03) 349 3666
- 70 Riccarton Road, Riccarton. Ph (03) 345 5666
- 137 Warrington Street, Shirley. Ph (03) 385 5666
- Shop 7, 303 Colombo Street, Sydenham. Ph (03) 337 1666
So Yo – Modern frozen yogurt shop which always has two vegan flavours. Usually they are chocolate and some kind of fruit flavour. A lot of the toppings are vegan and the staff are happy to check for you. Pay by the weight. Upstairs you can sit and enjoy your yogurt. Cnr Riccarton Rd & Rotherham Street. Ph: 03 343 4110 http://www.soyo.co.nz/ Open 7 days from 10-11am until 10-11pm.